Add to Technorati Favorites
CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Upon the Midnight Clear: Sherrilyn Kenyon-Book Thirteen





I’m glad I decided not to skip the Dream-Hunter books. This one is very timely for the Holiday season and made me feel all gooey inside about Christmas. And this one was much better than the last Dream-Hunter novel, though it’s short.

I started and finished this book today, not because I’m a super fast reader though I can be. I finished it because out of the 282 pages of this paperback, 250 of it is the actual Dream-Hunter novel, and the rest of it holiday vignettes. Before I get into those though, let’s talk plot.

In Upon the Midnight Clear we come across Aidan O’Conner, an actor. He’s not a dream-hunter, a god or anything like that. He’s simply a human actor. He’s jaded, been betrayed by most every one he’s loved. (His brother, his nephew, his fiancée and others).

When I say jaded I should probably say he’s a bitter, enraged, recluse who has given up on the idea that humanity has any kindness flowing through its masses. He’s very emo, but he has good reason and, he’s really a nice guy. He’s been too giving, overlooked too much and was basically taken advantage of. Not in a wimpy way though.

So who is our love interest? A goddess. Just a goddess? No, not just a goddess but one of the Oneiroi. She’s been in stasis after fighting Dolor, the personification of pain. And man there is history there. There’s this whole kill your daughter while you beg and watch thing going on. Yeah, I know, not very Christmassy. Trust me, the book gets there.

Anyway, betrayal and vengeance is afoot. They collide and outcomes this Kenyon style Christmas carol. It’s brief, but it’s sweet. It’s not full of super hot sex, but it is full of hope and overcoming. That’s enough right? C’mon you can’t celebrate baby Jesus with tons of sex scenes!! One or two mild, loving ones is tastefully enough. Right?

It’s right for me.

And what about the critique? Hmmm, just remember that this is not a Dark-Hunter novel. You are not going to get the same kind of depth here as you would with them. I’m not sure why because the story doesn’t suck ass. It’s a well-rounded, brief little jewel that outshines the first official Dream-Hunter novel.

Perhaps the weakness of the Dream-Hunter series is the lack of connection with the Oneiroi and Skoti themselves. They are cool, but they seem too otherworldly and we, as mere mortals, can’t comprehend them the same way we can those who once walked amongst us.

They have no emotions or have lived ages without them. The curse is weakening yes, but maybe there aren’t enough of us so devoid of emotion that we can understand it. Or rather, maybe the curse is not enough justification for the lack of emotion. We humans like sound justifications for our assholery, right? I know I do.

This is not to say that the Dream-Hunter series is bad. The series is just different and has a hard time being compared to the Dark-Hunter standard. This is often the case with spin-offs. So, I’m giving the Dream-Hunters and Kenyon a lot of slack.

But like I said, I liked it and I’m looking forward to the next installment where Xypher takes center stage in Dream Chaser. And oh yum, after that is Acheron!!!! I’ve already heard some titillating and even worrisome things about that one. I’m itching to get to it, but I like the torture and the tease of making myself wait. (And you quite frankly.) *grins*

Oh before I head off, maybe I should say something about the vignettes…

There be three of them as we take a stroll through Christmas celebrations. We visit the Peltiers, the Hunters and Acheron’s place. In each the Holidays stir some sadness, some happiness and the stories remind us of the challenges our heroes still face. Aimee, Fang….Fury….Nick…and the grand man himself, Acheron have stories left untold.

Wow, we’re on book 13 and there is still so much to go. Good, because I’m addicted to the darkly sweets. In case I don’t see you, Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to you!!!!

© 2008

0 comments: